Calgary, known for its stunning natural landscapes, a thriving job market, and a vibrant cultural scene, is a desirable place to call home. If you’re considering moving to Calgary, one of the first things you’ll need to secure is a place to live. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the process of finding an apartment for rent in Calgary, offering tips and insights to help you make the right choice.
Table of Contents:
- What are the Types of Accommodations Available in Calgary?
- How Can I Find an Apartment for Rent in Calgary?
- What is the Average Cost of an Apartment for Rent in Calgary?
- The Concept of Short Term Rental Calgary
- Legal Considerations of Short Term Rental Calgary
- Tips for finding an Apartment for Rent in Calgary
- FAQs on Apartment for Rent in Calgary
What are the Types of Accommodations Available in Calgary?
Calgary offers a diverse range of rental types to accommodate various lifestyles and preferences. Understanding the different types can help you choose the one that best suits your needs. Here are some common rental types:
1. Bachelor or Studio Apartments: These are compact units typically consisting of a single room that serves as the living area, bedroom, and kitchenette. They often have a separate bathroom. Individuals or couples seeking an affordable and low-maintenance living space. Well-suited for those who spend minimal time at home.
2. One-Bedroom Apartments: One-bedroom apartments feature a separate bedroom, a living area, a kitchen, and a bathroom. They offer more space and privacy compared to studios. Individuals or couples looking for a bit more room and privacy while still maintaining affordability.
3. Two-Bedroom Apartments: These apartments have two separate bedrooms, a living area, a kitchen, and at least one bathroom. They are suitable for small families or roommates. Small families, roommates, or individuals desiring a spare room for an office or guest space.
4. Three-Bedroom Apartments or Townhouses: Larger units with three or more bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and multiple bathrooms. They are ideal for larger families. Larger families who need more space or individuals looking to share a larger living space with roommates.
5. Basement Suites: These are self-contained living spaces located in the basements of houses. They often have a separate entrance and may include one or more bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. Individuals or small families seeking a budget-friendly option with some degree of privacy.
6. Luxury Apartments and Condos: Upscale apartments or condominiums often located in prime neighborhoods. They offer high-end amenities such as fitness centers, concierge services, and more. Individuals or couples seeking a premium living experience with luxurious features and services.
Each rental type in Calgary comes with its own set of advantages and considerations. It’s essential to assess your lifestyle, budget, and preferences when choosing the right rental type for your needs. Additionally, local rental market conditions and availability may influence your options, so it’s advisable to explore various listings and consult with property managers to find the perfect rental type for you.
Find Short Term Rental Calgary
An apartment in Calgary for rent provides a versatile and cozy answer for both travellers and those seeking temporary lodging. By thoughtfully assessing your requirements, financial plan, and favoured area, you can discover the ideal short term rental to ensure your stay in Calgary is both pleasant and hassle-free. Below, we’ve highlighted apartments in Calgary for rent worth exploring:
1. LooneyTooney: Elevating Your Rental Experience
LooneyTooney distinguishes itself as an exclusive online platform offering a diverse range of services, including short-term rental accommodations across Canada. Unlike conventional listing platforms, LooneyTooney goes the extra mile by providing a dedicated support team to cater to your needs.
When you opt for LooneyTooney, you’ll be paired with a personal representative whose primary mission is to identify properties that perfectly align with your preferences. They meticulously curate a selection of options for your consideration. Furthermore, they will seamlessly guide you through the entire process, starting from your initial search right up to your move-in day. They are readily accessible to address any inquiries or concerns you might have, whether they pertain to safety, neighborhood insights, nearby educational institutions, or any other aspect of your rental journey. For a stress-free apartment-hunting experience, LooneyTooney stands out as one of the premier platforms available.
Property Types: 1, 2, and 3-bedroom furnished rentals
Price: Starting from approximately CAD 140 per night
You can also Find Short-Term Accommodations in Canada From India
RentFaster.ca is a prominent online platform for renting apartments and houses in Canada. They specialize in providing well-equipped apartments for rent. They provide various options, including 1, 2, and 3-bedroom furnished apartments.
Property Types: 1, 2, and 3-bedroom furnished apartments
Price: Starting from approximately CAD 1650 per month
RENTCafe.com is a nationwide apartment search website that enables renters to easily and securely find apartments and houses for rent throughout Canada. You can look for 1, 2 or 3 -bedroom furnished apartments or more on this website.
Property Types: 1, 2, and 3-bedroom furnished apartments
Price: Starting from approximately CAD 1700 per month
Zillow is a reputed online real estate marketplace for finding and sharing information about homes, real estate, and mortgages. You can find some great apartments, or other forms of short term rentals on this platform.
Property Types: 1, 2, and 3-bedroom furnished apartments, Condominiums, luxurious villas and townhouses
Price: Starting from approximately CAD 1680 per month
Kijiji is a centralized network of online groups of people for writing local online classified advertisements. Here you can find owners listing their apartments or other rental options themselves. So, you can connect with them directly.
Property Types: 1, 2, and 3-bedroom furnished apartments, Condominiums, luxurious villas and townhouses
Price: Starting from approximately CAD 1720 per month
What is the Average Cost of an Apartment for Rent in Calgary?
Calgary is known for its diverse neighborhoods, economic opportunities, and natural beauty. It offers a wide range of housing options, from downtown high-rises to suburban communities. However, like many cities, the cost of renting or owning an apartment in Calgary is subject to various factors. These are location, size, amenities, and market conditions. In this discussion, we will explore the dynamics that influence the cost of short-term accommodations in Calgary, providing insights into rental costs.
- Bachelor or Studio Apartments: These typically have one main living area, a kitchenette, and a separate bathroom. In August 2023, the average monthly rent for a bachelor or studio apartment in Calgary ranged from approximately CAD 1500 to CAD 1700 per month. Prices could be lower or higher depending on factors such as location, amenities, and the condition of the unit.
- One-Bedroom Apartments: A one-bedroom apartment in Calgary in Aug 2023 generally ranged from CAD 1,800 to CAD 1,870 per month. Again, this varied based on the neighborhood, building quality, and included amenities. More central and desirable areas often had higher rental rates.
- Two-Bedroom Apartments: For a two-bedroom apartment, the average monthly rent in Calgary typically falls between CAD 2,200 and CAD 2,500. Larger and more modern units with additional features tended to command higher rents.
- Three-Bedroom or Larger Apartments: Larger apartments with three bedrooms or more were less common but could be found in the range of CAD 2,500 to CAD 3,500 or more per month, depending on factors like size, location, and amenities.
You can also ask for a discount while renting an apartment in Calgary. Discounts on short-term accommodations in Calgary can vary based on several factors, including market conditions, location, the time of year, and individual landlord policies. Landlords may offer move-in specials to attract tenants. These could include a reduced first month’s rent, a waiver of the security deposit, or other incentives to make moving in more affordable. In areas with universities or colleges, landlords might offer student discounts or incentives to attract students as tenants. This could include reduced rent or flexible lease terms.
The Concept of Short Term Rental Calgary
The concept of apartment for rent in Calgary encompasses a dynamic and diverse housing market that caters to a wide range of individuals and families. Calgary, Alberta’s largest city, is known for its booming economy, stunning natural surroundings, and vibrant culture. As a result, the city offers a rich variety of rental options, making it an attractive destination for those seeking a place to call home. In this comprehensive overview, we’ll explore the key aspects of short-term accommodations in Calgary.
1.. Rental Costs: The cost of an apartment for rent in Calgary can vary significantly depending on factors such as location, size, and amenities. The average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Calgary was around CAD 1,500 to CAD 1,900. It depends on the specific location within the city and the amenities offered by the apartment complex. Additionally, factors like the neighborhood, apartment size, and condition can influence rental rates.
2. Utilities: Apartments for rent in Calgary might sometimes offer all-inclusive rent. It means that certain utilities are included in your monthly rent payment. These commonly include water, heat, and sometimes electricity. Utilities included can differ from one rental property to another. It’s essential to clarify with the landlord what utilities are covered in your rent. In other cases, tenants may be responsible for utilities like electricity, internet, and cable TV separately from their rent.
3. Pet Policies: Pet policies vary in apartment in Calgary for rent. Apartment in Calgary for rent in Calgary might be pet-friendly, while others have restrictions on the size and breed of pets or may not allow pets at all. Some pet-friendly apartments may have controlled access and amenities like on-site laundry, which can be convenient for residents with pets. It’s advisable to confirm the pet policy of the specific rental property you are interested in.
4. Lease Terms: When renting an apartment in Calgary, you will typically sign a lease agreement. This agreement is a legally binding contract between you (the tenant) and the landlord, outlining the terms and conditions of your tenancy, including the lease duration and rent amount. Standard lease terms in an apartment for rent in Calgary is typically one year, but shorter-term leases may be available. Some landlords offer month-to-month leases also, which provide more flexibility but may have slightly higher rents.
5. Amenities: When renting an apartment in Calgary, the amenities can vary depending on the specific apartment complex or building. Here are some common amenities you can expect to find in an apartment for rent in Calgary:
- 24-Hour Fitness Center
- Bike Racks
- Outdoor Pool (available in some apartments)
- Dog-Walking Services (in some purpose-built apartments)
Please note that the availability of these amenities may vary from one apartment complex to another. Also keep in mind that the amenities offered can influence the rental price, in an apartment in Calgary.
Legal Considerations of Short Term Rental Calgary
Legal considerations play a vital role when renting an apartment in Calgary. Understanding your legal rights and obligations as a tenant can help ensure a smooth and trouble-free rental experience. Here are some key legal considerations in short-term accomodations in Calgary
1. Tenant Rights
- Privacy: You have the right to privacy within your rented unit. Landlords must provide reasonable notice before entering the premises, except in emergencies.
- Non-Discrimination: It is illegal for landlords to discriminate against tenants based on factors such as race, gender, religion, disability, or family status.
- Repairs and Maintenance: Your landlord is responsible for ensuring the property is safe and habitable. Report any necessary repairs promptly.
2. Tenant Responsibilities
- Property Maintenance: Maintain the rental unit in a clean and reasonably safe condition. Follow any rules and expectations outlined in the lease agreement.
- Utilities: Pay for utilities as specified in the lease agreement. Understand whether utilities like water, gas, or electricity are included in your rent.
- Subletting: If you wish to sublet the apartment, ensure you follow the legal requirements and obtain written consent from the landlord if necessary.
3. Legal Disputes
- Dispute Resolution: In case of disputes with your landlord, you can seek resolution through the Residential Tenancies Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) or the court system if necessary.
- Legal Counsel: If you encounter complex legal issues or disputes, consider consulting with a lawyer specializing in landlord-tenant law for guidance.
Being aware of these legal considerations. Following the rules and regulations outlined in Alberta’s Residential Tenancies Act is crucial for a successful and legally compliant tenancy in Calgary. It’s advisable to keep copies of all correspondence, lease agreements, and records related to your rental for reference in case of any disputes or legal issues.
Tips for finding an Apartment for Rent in Calgary
Renting short-term accommodation in Calgary is a significant financial commitment, and it’s crucial to establish a budget that aligns with your financial goals and lifestyle. Here are some key considerations to keep in mind when searching for an apartment in Calgary:
1. Determining Your Budget: Begin by assessing your current financial situation. Calculate your monthly income, including your salary and any other sources of revenue.
Deduct your fixed monthly expenses, such as utilities, groceries, transportation, insurance, and savings. Be sure to include these costs in your budget plan.
2. Affordability Ratio: Financial experts often recommend that your monthly rent should not exceed 30% of your monthly income. This guideline helps ensure that you can comfortably cover your housing expenses without stretching your budget.
3. Rent and Utility Costs: Research the average rent for the type of apartment you’re seeking in the neighborhood of your choice. Keep in mind that rental prices can vary significantly by location. Factor in additional costs beyond rent, such as utility bills (water, gas, electricity), internet, cable TV, and parking fees. These expenses can significantly impact your monthly budget.
4. Security Deposit and Other Fees: Be prepared to pay a security deposit, typically equal to one month’s rent, when signing a lease. This deposit is refundable at the end of your lease term if the property is left in good condition. Some landlords may charge application fees or pet fees, so inquire about these potential costs in advance.
5. Transportation Costs: Consider your transportation expenses, including the cost of commuting to work, school, or other daily activities. Being close to public transportation can help reduce these costs.
Finding the perfect apartment for rent in Calgary requires careful planning, research, and consideration of your individual needs and preferences. By understanding short-term accomodations in Calgary, establishing a budget, and conducting a thorough search, you can secure an apartment that suits your lifestyle and allows you to enjoy all that this vibrant city has to offer. Happy apartment hunting in Calgary!
FAQs on Apartment for Rent in Calgary
Q. Is it hard to rent an apartment in Calgary?
A. The rental market in Calgary is currently marked by intense competition, making it more challenging to secure desirable rental properties. The city’s appeal as a desirable place to live has sparked increased demand, further heightening the competition for available housing options.
Q. What types of rental accommodations are available in Calgary?
A. Calgary offers a diverse range of rental options, including bachelor or studio apartments, one-bedroom apartments, two-bedroom apartments, three-bedroom apartments or townhouses, basement suites, and luxury apartments/condos.
Q. Where can I find short term rental options in Calgary?
A. You can explore platforms like LooneyTooney, RentFaster.ca, RENTCafe.com, Zillow, and Kijiji for short term rental options in Calgary. These platforms offer a variety of furnished rentals with different property types and price ranges.
Q. What is the average cost of renting an apartment in Calgary?
A. The average cost varies depending on factors such as location, size, and amenities. As of August 2023, bachelor or studio apartments can range from CAD 1500 to CAD 1700 per month, one-bedroom apartments from CAD 1800 to CAD 1870, two-bedroom apartments from CAD 2200 to CAD 2500, and larger units from CAD 2500 to CAD 3500 or more.